Why become a member? ×

Strings for 8-string (octave)...but in short/medium-scale?

A little while ago I bought a Hagstrom HB-8. It was the first time I'd ever seen an 8-string bass in the flesh, so I had to go into the shop and try it. And of course, I liked it so much I took it home with me. I'd only gone out to buy a pair of jeans...

Unfortunately, I'm getting a little anxious about the complete absence of replacement string sets - not least because I'd like to take her in for a set-up at some point. The Hagstrom website states that they make suitable strings, but gives me no means to order them. I can find other 8-string sets online, but they're all for long-scale basses, and the Hag is short-scale!

So: can you either recommend me a place that stocks them - ideally somewhere in or near London - or, suggest an alternative? The HB-8 is a 30.75" scale, but strung through the body. I gather from a TB thread that this might make medium-scale strings suitable (or possibly better).

(The string gauges are .095 .070 .055 .040 and .055 .040 .025 0.15)

Edited by EliasMooseblaster