Why become a member? ×

chi sonic added to jazz bass

Jag_Bassist

Hi Guys,

ive had a listen to some Chi sonic pickups, they sound amazing! but i was thinking of adding one to my jaguar ( jazz bass pickups already installed)

i was wondering could i rout a new hole right at the neck end to drop a chi sonic in and have a 3 pickup bass? i could change the switches at the bottom to turn each of the pickups on and have a master volume and tone

can anyone thing of any immediate problems with this?

or would taking the neck jazz pickup out and sticking a chi sonic in its place be the best option? ( some routing will be required obviously)

i recon a chisonic at the very neck end will give it a lovely thumpy vintage tone.

Cheers in advance!

There is no need to route out your bass if you want to change the pickups to Chi Sonics. Lakland/Hanson recently started making a version of those pickups that fit into a standard size Jazz Bass pickup casing with a closed shell. They should just drop straight into the existing pickup routes, providing they are a fairly standard size ( I would expect they are) .

Contact Bo Pirucello at Hanson pickups and he will only be too glad to help. There is a Facebook page for Chi Sonic pickups and there is some info and pictures on there, too.

If you just want to add a Chi Sonic at the neck like you describe ,I am not sure how you would do that and what the potential problems with differences in resistance might be, but Hanson might be able to tell you about how to do it and what the pitfalls might be. The Chi Sonics are very hefty sounding pickups, and switching your Jazz bass pickups for them will give you a big change in the sound of your bass, even without the added neck pickup.

Edited by Dingus