Why become a member? ×

Vintage Fender Precision

JamesBass

[quote name='JamesBass' timestamp='1400526446' post='2454694']
Very true on shopping round and trying as many as you can find, something I've done a bit of after finding that magical 66 P I tried, sadly my hopes were high for the AVRI64 and it failed to get ANYWHERE near them, it was either extremely boomy or just clanked and sounded horrible in the treble register and I felt the lacquer on the back of the neck was FAR too thick, my thumb was getting stuck in place! Certainly wouldn't have purchased that bass!

Perhaps I should just keep looking and see what comes my way!
[/quote]

64? pretty sure there was only a 62 that has been replaced by the 63. What colour was it?

I have a 63ri strung with flats, best PBass I have owned.

[quote name='stingraybassman' timestamp='1400529182' post='2454738']
64? pretty sure there was only a 62 that has been replaced by the 63. What colour was it?

I have a 63ri strung with flats, best PBass I have owned.
[/quote]
Indeed, it was a 63, my bad! Bloody flailing fingers as I typed! :blush:

It was a 63 AVRI and it was seminole red, which was damn purddy but alas, it didn't play right for me!

I have just been playing both my P and my Ric and I can get what I deem a better "vintage" tone from my Ric with the treble tone rolled all the way off and the bass tone pot to just under half, plus a little mid scoop on my amp and away I was!

Still fancy another P mind, I do have a Squier affinity body sat in a case under my bed along with the slightly warped next which I was gonna de-fret. I may now get a neck made up from somewhere, or purchase one and get some custom wirings and have the body re-sprayed? Hmmmm.....

[quote name='JamesBass' timestamp='1400530532' post='2454759']

Indeed, it was a 63, my bad! Bloody flailing fingers as I typed! :blush:

It was a 63 AVRI and it was seminole red, which was damn purddy but alas, it didn't play right for me!

I have just been playing both my P and my Ric and I can get what I deem a better "vintage" tone from my Ric with the treble tone rolled all the way off and the bass tone pot to just under half, plus a little mid scoop on my amp and away I was!

Still fancy another P mind, I do have a Squier affinity body sat in a case under my bed along with the slightly warped next which I was gonna de-fret. I may now get a neck made up from somewhere, or purchase one and get some custom wirings and have the body re-sprayed? Hmmmm.....
[/quote]

As dingus said, lots of things can affect how a bass plays. The difference of rounds to flats on mine is crazy.

Projects are always fun, decent neck and pickups and you'll be on your way.

Some of the bitsa basses on here are brilliant.

Radical thought. Why not use the Ric for the punk outfit and stick flats on the Precision. Again, you're more than welcome to dive round and see if anything I've got provides a solution. There's old and new to compare.

Courtesy of my Rotosound deal I'll even supply your first set of flats (provided you like 45-105).

[quote name='Bassman Steve' timestamp='1400736514' post='2456462']
Radical thought. Why not use the Ric for the punk outfit and stick flats on the Precision. Again, you're more than welcome to dive round and see if anything I've got provides a solution. There's old and new to compare.

Courtesy of my Rotosound deal I'll even supply your first set of flats (provided you like 45-105).
[/quote]
Will PM you later tonight and arrange a meet up :)