Why become a member? ×

Yamaha SA-70 basses

hidesert

Hi all. I am a US bassist who recently took an interest in finding a vintage short-scale, hollow body, semi-hollow body, or (I guess) solid bodied instrument, and the Yamaha SA-70 has come to interest me. Any experience with them? Are they easily located in your area, and what is their price range?
Anyone owning one or with past experience with one, please feel free to post your opinions!
Other options are the Guild or Gibson or Hofner originals ($$$$), a Lakland Skyline Hollowbody short scale ( haven't played one yet, but people seem to like them and they are not too expensive over here).
I am looking for an instrument to play, not hang on the wall. i have some guitars like that and haven't taken them out of their cases for 10 years because I know that, as a playing instrument, they would disappoint me immediately. I keep them for sentimental reasons, but don't wish to add to that group any longer.
So, how do you think the Yamaha SA-70 family of basses holds up?

To be honest, I've never seen one in real life - I'm something of a fan of vintage Japanese basses & I tend to notice these things. I think it's a strong likelihood they were never sold in the UK. You'd be surprised how much cool stuff doesn't make it over here!

Jon.

Ah, that explains it! Thank you.
Well, I bought a Trans Red 1969 Yamaha SA-70 yesterday here in the US that has yet to arrive. I spent a great deal of time talking with the owner and poring over photos of the neck and fingerboard, in particular. It looks to be an excellent specimen.I'll try to provide a report.
You guys do have the benefit of, I imagine, a flood of 60's Hofners, right?

Edited by hidesert