Why become a member? ×

Faith FKN - really impressed!

Ancient Mariner

We have some friends over from Zimbabwe right now, and they wanted to pick up a decent acoustic guitar for their son to start using a bit more seriously. They'd been looking at Washburn, Yamaha, Takamine etc in the £300-£400 range, and we wandered down to PMT in Oxford to try some.

We tried a Tak around the price/level he was interested in (a bit dull and middly) then the sales chap (Dan) handed over a Faith FKN electro.

Wow.

I've played quite a lot of guitars over the years, and just occasionally one comes across one that comes alive in the hands. It had been set up well and the action & intonation were good, but much more than that, the whole body responded and resonated as I played it. There was a hand-built Yamaha acoustic that I played about 20 years ago that felt like this, but that was the last acoustic guitar that ever felt this good to me. If you tickled it then it would sparkle quietly back, thump it and it would push out hard, but without compression or muddiness. Brilliant.

We tried another, more expensive Tak. Meh.

If you're in the market for an acoustic guitar then have a look at Faith. In the mean time, if anyone wants a Heritage 'Les Paul' or JJ with mini hums then drop me a line.