Why become a member? ×

'75 jazz pot wiring appears wrong

andytoad

My 75 jazz bass has earth buzz when you touch the poles, funnily enough, I have never noticed it. However, I took the control plate off tonight to find that one the white and black wires had been alternated on the middle pot. I'm aware that one of the pickups was rewound in the past. Could the reversing of the wires be for this reason?

Your advice is appreciated!!!

A photo would help, assuming you mean the two wires coming from the pickup, the swapping of the wires may be because both pickups have been wound the same way. If I recall rightly, originally the Bridge pickup winds the opposite way to the neck.

Its pretty easy to tell if it's right or not because they will either be in phase or out of phase. If you turn up both volume controls and you find you lose lots of lower frequencies then the pickups are out of phase and you can swap the two wires. If you turn both volumes up and you just lose a little mid-range, then then it's wired in phase - but because of the re-wind it might be that the poles are not earthed.

I'm not sure if you can just screen them - some use a strip of copper tape on the bottom of the pickup, touching the underside of the poles, then connect that to earth - however, because of the way they are wound it may cancel out the whole thing and render your pickup very quiet. I'm no expert on this by any stretch though so don't take this as an informed opinion!

An alternative might be to get a cover that does not have holes to expose the pole piecs. Or get the pickup re-wound the right way - if indeed that is the problem...