Why become a member? ×

Peavey IPR2/3000 power amp.

NancyJohnson

I've come to the conclusion recently that my existing amp (Ashdown ABM EVOIII) isn't giving me enough volume when up against a maniacal drummer and a very loud guitarist, plus I have a festival date upcoming, so I'm tooling up to just go the power amp route (with a Sansamp RBI working as the preamp). After a bit of investigation, I'm now erring towards the amp in the subject title. Primarily it should give me adequate headroom, plus they weight so little, it'll save my back long term.

Is suppose first up, has anyone any experience of the IPR range? Issues? Anything I should be aware of?

Secondly, even after 30+ years of playing, I still don't fully understand the nitty gritty about ohms/impedance. I will be running two Hartke Hydrive cabinets (4x10/1x15) which are both 8 ohms. The amp is two channel...do I connect one cab to each output? Daisychain the cabinets out of one channel. Help!

P

I also have the IPR1600, I bought a second so I must have been happy. One speaker per channel is best there's even a built in crossover to a sub built in so you could try that as an experiment although probably not an important option. Reliable and absurdly light. Even with the IPR 1600 you might end up driving the 1x15 too hard so listen out for any unusual noises and turn down.

How powerful is your ABM? You really ought to be able to out-muscle any drummer with those two cabs. The PA amp will give you a much cleaner sound though.

If the festival is open air you'll still need PA support.

It's an ABM 500 and I'm running the RBI into the effects return - I found that routing it into the front jack didn't work so well for me, so I'm just using the power amp side of the Ashdown. I'm not a fan of just ramping everything up to ten - when gigging, the ABM runs at about 70% and I take a direct feed off the RBI via XLR into the PA. I'll keep both - the Ashdown is a very sensible refined amp, but I just need more dirt, which is where the RBI comes in..will probably just have home and away rigs!