Why become a member? ×

Removing Velcro Adhesive From My Pedals

titchfieldrelic

I'm reorganising my pedal board and have noticed the adhesive on the back of the Velcro has become soft and slimy. So, I want to replace the Velcro, which means pulling it off and cleaning the sticky mess left behind on the bottom plate of each pedal before attaching new Velcro. What chemical/cleaning solution would you recommend. I thought about using nail varnish remover, but this might remove the paint. Any suggestion for those of you experienced in such matters?

Thanks, Paul, for the recommendation. And so quickly too! My Pedaltrain Mini is about two years old and I've noticed that the pedals do move about from session to session when stored vertically in the case, mainly due to the adhesive being soft and allowing the pedals to react to gravity.. How often do you replace your Velcro?

No problem. I used to have to replace my velcro every few months or so but I was using the velcro that came with the pedalboard which was pretty poor quality and I was constantly taking my pedals off and rearranging them so that wouldn't have helped.

I've since starting using the heavy duty stuff on the advice of someone on here (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Velcro-Heavy-Duty-Stick-Black-VEL60243/dp/B001DYWT74/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pd_nS_nC?ie=UTF8&colid=3MUTG4W87OFKY&coliid=I1HTXWWOL5R9RP).

I've been using it for about 6 months and it's still just as solid as the day I put it on. But then most of those pedals haven't moved from the board since then. Time will tell I suppose.

Paul

Thanks again, Paul, for your advice. I've looked at the Amazon site and will use this heavy duty Velcro rather than the Velcro supplied with the Pedaltrain.

Incidentally, do you have a Fuzz pedal? If so, where in the chain have you put it. I was going to place it after the compressor but before the mult chorus. I know that this is very subjective, but it's good to ask for the opinion of other bassists.

I use fuzz, yeah. I sometimes use a bit of compression too but I'm not really a fan of chorus so I'm maybe not the best person to ask.

Of course, as you mentioned, it's all subjective anyway. But with my current set-up, I've been using my compression at the start, then all my preamp/dirty stuff, then fuzz, then octave/delays etc.

I don't really have any rules when it comes to pedal order, though. Just because I've got my current fuzz before my current octave doesn't mean I'll always have them that way. Some fuzzes sound better before some octaves and vice versa.

Paul