Why become a member? ×

FINAL PRICE DROP to £475 ONO: Fender Jazz Bass - Geddy Lee Body, USA Fender Electronics, early 70s Precision Bass Neck.
£650

sockdeluxe_mikey

Hi guys,

The usual story - I wasn't really planning on selling this bass, but I've seen something that I've been waiting to own for such a long time and this is the bass that I am least attached to selling.

Here are the specs:

- Fender Geddy Lee body (as bought from this very forum)
- early 70s Precision Bass neck (it's a fretless neck re-boarded with a ziricote fretboard and jumbo frets. Tasty!)
- USA 1975 RI pickups (grounded and shielded to death!)
- USA Fender 50th Anniversary control plate
- Fender spiral-saddle bridge
- Copper strip groundplate (because it looks cooler and I think gives a really solid ground connection)
- Gotoh Res-o-lite tuners (these cost a fortune, and give the bass great balance)

It's definitely not a 'showroom' aesthetic bass guitar. The neck is nice and well-worn at the back but the trussrod is in great condition (always been adjusted with the right tool and the rod is smooth to turn), the body has got many hits and scrapes but is functionally perfect. I had another body on this guitar but this fits *much* better; there is a gap of about 1/4" at the bottom of the heel, but could be easily covered up with a scratchplate and it never really bothered me. If anything, it actually means you can adjust the neck with the truss rod in-situ which is not common for a heel-adjust old Fender neck at all! The neck also has threaded inserts which use the standard body holes without modification as they're a little smaller and don't use the existing threads; just the ones that have been installed in the neck.

The guitar is DEAD silent. I went through so much effort to get the pickups shielded and grounded as much as possible. The pickups solo'd hardly even hum which really surprised me; the only way to get them to hum is have it a foot away from a MacBook or something similar.

The only negative is that the machine heads aren't 100% uniformly straight at the back of the neck. This is because the previous owner installed some 60s Fender bass machine heads and I've just used the existing holes; this could be tidied up pretty easily but as it stands the machine heads work 100% fine and I've left that decision up to the next owner.

Cash on collection or I can post [s]at cost[/s] inclusive - just message me beforehand to ask me how you'd like to do this. [s]Also bear in mind that I may not be selling the bass, depending on if I'm able to get what I want. :)[/s]

Of course, let me know if anybody's got any further questions. I can take further pictures if anybody wants them.

Thanks!

Mike

Edited by sockdeluxe_mikey

[quote name='sockdeluxe_mikey' timestamp='1397301469' post='2422585']
Bump - over a month up on Basschat and no interest whatsoever? Am I doing something wrong :(?[/quote]

You might be better selling it as parts...

There are quite a few "bitsa" Fenders and Fender-a-likes for sale at the moment, and a lot of them are struggling. Problem is that they are kind of neither one thing nor another - and yours in particular with its J body and P neck. People get very set in their ways with Fenders and tend to know what they like.

I'm sure your bass plays beautifully and sounds great: but its not really a J, not really a P - and certainly not a Geddy Lee.

That seventies neck must be worth a few bob though...? ;)