Why become a member? ×

Aguilar pickups

Hoppo75

Not got my own, but I tried their 'Hum Cancelling Series Jazz Bass Set' today in a 5 string MIA Jazz, and they sounded absolutely amazing. Nice and clear, VERY punchy with a nice sound. Not cheap at £199 for 4 strings / £229 for 5 strings, but if I want to transform a Jazz, I'd be certainly going for them.

[quote name='Hoppo75' timestamp='1393661221' post='2383017']
Hi all.

Has anyone upgraded to these? I'm looking to upgrade my Jazz, with Fralins, Delanos and Nordstrand making the shortlist. I'd like to see if anyone has used them before I discount them.

Cheers folks,
Drew
[/quote]

I replaced the Quarter pounder in my Nate Mendel Precision with the AG 4P-60. It's amazing and at £115 delivered, a real great price for such a big improvement. It's way more traditional in tonal terms than the quarter pounder. It's fatter sounding, still has clank and clarity with the tone knob on but has a much more old school (less aggressive) precision sound as the foundation.

Apparently this comes from the materials (heavy formvar wire, Alnico V magnets) which were selected to replicate the sound of the original fender 60s precision pickups that were in Aguilar President Dave Boonshoft original '63 and '64 precisions.

Having owned (and tried!) a fair few pickup upgrades from EMG, Nordstrand, Wizard, Lindy Fralin, Delano etc, the Aguilar are my personal favourite by some way!

Edited by skej21