Why become a member? ×

Why shouldn't I buy a Behringer BB115?

jmccabe

[quote name='alexclaber' post='235446' date='Jul 9 2008, 01:11 AM']I have an ethical problem with all of Behringer's gear but at least most of it is a tolerable rip-off of something decent. Their speakers are another kettle of fish - I can't think of a single redeeming characteristic. Poor tone, poor power handling, heavy, poor durability, poor resale value. Buy a secondhand Peavey or something!

Alex[/quote]

But apart from the above they are pretty good then lol :)

[quote name='Stan_da_man' post='235040' date='Jul 8 2008, 03:52 PM']Bear in mind Ashdown's reputation for reliability isn't much better than Behringer.[/quote]

yeah there was a period where it went a bit screwy but that appears to be sorted, i bought my mag after they got this corrected and mine has been fine. but the main problems they had were with the amp sections not the speakers. the mag cabs offer a much better quality than the behringers for not much more dosh.

[quote name='jmccabe' post='235109' date='Jul 8 2008, 05:06 PM']Thanks for that suggestion but I'm not very close to Coventry. I don't have a lot of experience of 4x10 cabs either, but the ones I do have experience I didn't much like the sound of, so I'd be a bit hesitant on that anyway.

For the moment I think it's best to stick with a 1x15.

Thanks again though.[/quote]
(Why didn't I think of plugging my own stuff...?)

Trust me 4x10's are like 1x15's but much better. More speakers so that means easier to cope with sound (more efficient) i.e. 4 speakers not just 1. 4x10's cover more area so are louder than a 1x15 and 4x10's can get a good low sound too.

Those cabs are a bargain - they are near enough brand new.

Behringer cabs are made outta particle board or some other fibre board-therefore weigh a ton & turn to cardboard if they get too wet.....:-( I've never had one, but a friend had one & the 4x10 blew out 3 of it's Alluminium cones within 2 yrs. It was HEAVY as.......... too!!! Either go 4 the New 15"s mentioned or a 2nd hand one-of a reputable brand. IF U DO LIKE 15" cabs then go 4 it. I like 'em too. & NO 4x10 cab will sound like a 1x15" IME/IMO. 15's have a big round sound, where the 4x10's (I've tried-LOTS) sound GREAT but different- sharper, punchier. I like the 10" spkr heaps but I LOVE A GOOD 15" cab. I've currently got a Aguilar GS115, that I got AFTER it was discontinued for $700AUD(about 300 GBP) that was NEW. HArtke 15's are pretty good. BAsically IME- a bigger deeper cab means a bigger deeper sound(to a degree)- My GS115 is quite a BIG 15" cab & sounds it too. I love it. Ashdown make a big & a smaller 15" cab -shop around! Good Luck!

Just thought I'd let you all know that I've gone for the 2nd hand Hartke The_Rev mentioned earlier. It weighs a ton, but it does sound pretty good (and there's a matching 2x10 that I might look for to join it in the future). I'm going to make a little dolly to cart it around on so that the only lifting is into and out of the car :)

Thanks