Why become a member? ×

50's Classic Precision tuners

Roger2611

I have a lovely 50's classic Precision which is perfect other than the bloody awful reverse wind tuners, the bass was one of the very first lot built and I have had it from new, the tuners were always really stiff but I thought they would free up over time....now five years down the line they are still as stiff and unfriendly as ever.....I have tried loosening the screw on the back, no difference, I have tried greasing the cog and winder....no difference....I have come to the conclusion they are just crap!

Can anyone suggest anything else I could try to make them smoother and easier? If not can anyone recommend a replacement set? The base plate on these reverse wind set are a bit larger than any normal base plates so I am going to end up drilling new holes but the American vintage tuners holes are too close to the current ones that I would have to fill the existing holes to drill new ones...which I don't want to do.

I see a set of Schaller M4SL tuners are for sale on here somewhere, they look nice but would they be an easy fit?..They don't seem to have any screw mounts on the back so I assume they are held in some way by the bush at the front?

Any advice gladly received

Rog