Why become a member? ×

Genz Benz ShuttleMax 12.2

Ramsay777

Hi folks, long time lurker and first post here.

I've been looking to physically down-size my rig for a while now and came across the Shuttlemax 12.2 on bass direct and saw that it's currently going for a decent price, has anyone here had any experiences with this amp?

I currently play in a hard rock/ pop and everything in-between cover band, and I enjoy playing a bit of punk and metal also, so I'm wondering how it would fair in these situations. I've watched some youtube vids of the Shuttlemax series and they tend to be using the amp very clean.

My main set-up at the moment which I use in band is an American Jazz Bass > Sansamp BDDI > Ampeg B2RE > Warwick WCA410 Pro. 90% of the time I use my fingers, the odd time I play with a pick.

I've been in touch with Zilla abut getting a 2x10" cab made so that's what I'll likely be running it through, the end game is to get rid of most of my gear and replace it with less but "higher end" gear; a couple of basses and a small(ish) rig :D

EDIT: I'm assuming the 2 pre-amps don't correspond to the 2 power-amps? I did think about having one side going to one cab and the other going to a second cab for a stereo set-up... It was a complicated question to try and google.

Edited by Ramsay777

Shuttlemax owner - check
Play rock and metal - check
Have gas for new amp - NO!

The amp is stunning IMO. I've been incredibly happy with mine since the day I got it. No matter what I want to do with my bass tone; this amp seems perfectly capable of doing it. The power amps are incredibly clean and clear so however I set my tone in the living room, it sounds the same in rehearsal. The two pre amps are directed to both power amps, this gives many cab and power ooptions but no possibility of a "stereo" rig.

As youtube shows; the amp is capable of being played very clean, but if you crank the gain on the valve pre then it can get very dirty.

If you're anywhere near me then you'd be welcome to have a noodle on my rig.

Thanks for the reply Dave, that's pretty much what I needed to hear! I'm afraid I reside in the very far North of Scotland (Any further and you're fall in to the sea) Quite a bit away from Derby haha, but thanks very much for the offer. I'm used to buying things without trying due to my location unfortunately!

Genz seem to be decent bits of kit, never really read much bad about them, so I don't think I can go too far wrong. *touch wood*

[quote name='Dave_the_bass' timestamp='1390590710' post='2347421']

As youtube shows; the amp is capable of being played very clean, but if you crank the gain on the valve pre then it can get very dirty.

[/quote]

Hi dave
I've got the shuttlemax 9.2 and love it.
What settings do you use for the dirty valve sound, I can't seem to dial it in.
Pics of your settings would be cool.

Cheers
Thebassman

Edited by thebassman

[quote name='thebassman' timestamp='1390603455' post='2347586']

Hi dave
I've got the shuttlemax 9.2 and love it.
What settings do you use for the dirty valve sound, I can't seem to dial it in.
Pics of your settings would be cool.

Cheers
Thebassman
[/quote]

If I can get the house to myself for an hour then I'll see what I can do. At them moment my amp is set pretty flat and clean as it is a tone that works well in the band. When I first got the rig I had a dirty valve crunch that worked lovely in the living room but just got lost in the distortion of the guitarist.

• 1 year later...

I popped into my local music shop this afternoon looking for a replacement for my small rig head which is currently a Peavey Tour 450 which is great for reggae but I haven't found it hi-fi enough for my the other gigs where I need a full range clean sound.

I tried out a used Genz Benz ShuttleMax 12.0 which is a Class D amp with a tube pre-amp channel and a solid state channel. I tried it alongside a Aguillar D751a nd an angular 4x10 cab which was only because it was there not that I'm after an angular rig . But I actually preferred the Genz benz to the Aguillar. It sounded much more hi-fi and cleaner and seemed to respond to the filter changes on my bass much better.

Any views on it especially if you are using it for Jazz-funk, RnB, soul and funk gigs?