Why become a member? ×

Insurance / Gig equipment?

Mark Dyer

Having just read the three or four posts on stolen gear this morning I just wondered how many people here have their gear insured and to what level, ie, is it fully comp, van, venue and rehearsal space?

Also, what gear do you take on a gig? I'm using a Status S2 and a MM atm which totals around £4000, add to that a Genz Benz/Bergantino rig and around a £1000 worth of effect pedals which makes an approx total of £6500. It's all insured fully comp, but I'd still be gutted if say the S2 was stolen, it's a three month build time minimum to replace if nothing else.

The two guitarists in the band are the same, they have custom BC Riches, Parker Fly guitars, [color=#000000][font=Arial, sans-serif]Axe-Fx rack [/font][/color][font="Arial, sans-serif"][color="#000000"]mounts the lot, in all we're carting around £20,000 + of gear to do pub and club gigs basically. It's all built up over time but we do feel sometimes maybe it's overkill for playing the Duck n' Toilet of a Saturday night![/color][/font]

Does anyone here use cheaper gear to gig with and leave the expensive stuff at home?

I used to tour with upwards of £5k of kit which I foolishly didn't have insured. These days I'm covered up to £2k with my MU membership and my kit travels securely in the back of my splitter van so that gets me through most of their caveats.

Don't see the point in buying lovely gear to only play in the bedroom. I guess if I was playing somewhere particularly rough I'd think more carefully about what I was leaving lying about but I don't really come across places like that. I buy gear because it sounds great and feels good to play, couldn't justify leaving it sat in the house!