Why become a member? ×

Help me decide on final details of a project?

Biaeothanata-Bassist

Hey guys and gals.

I'm going to be finishing off a build project some time soon that i've been meaning to finish for months but not got round to it. So far, i've decided on body shape, hardware, colour, neck profile, tuning pegs, detuner and 2 out of the 3 pick ups (yes, 3 pick ups). It's going to be based around the Yamaha Billy Sheehan attitude but with a few "closer to home" changes to make it like the basses I'm used to.

First up, I've decided to have a woofer neck pick up and standard placed P pick up but i'm in 2 minds about the 3rd pick up which is going to be positioned in the "Jazz Bridge" position. Reason for this is i'm used to having a bridge pick up there and resting my thumb on it. Ever since i started with the idea of this project, I wanted to put a reversed P pick up in that position like James LoMenzo has on his Yamaha BB but now i'm considering putting a Musicman pick up there instead (quite a few of my favourite bass tones are music-man pick up style driven). I don't need recommendations on a pick up model as i've decided it'll either be a Seymour Duncan SPB-1 if i go for the reversed P or it'll be a Seymour Duncan SMB-4D if it's the Musicman pick up.

Next up, headstock shape. Traditional Fender, 3x1 music-man or 2x2 like my Tobias...
I was pretty much set on just getting a Mighty Mite neck and sticking that on it but then I saw a P bass (black) on ebay the other day with a maple neck with 2x2 headstock and I fell in love. Only problem with me wanting this is that I would need to get the neck made for me and it's going to cost a hell of a lot of money, money which i don't think I'll ever have. Opinions?

Thanks
Steve