Why become a member? ×

DHA Amps

Mr Cougar

Straight forward questions for you guys: has anyone tried one of Dave Halls Amp heads, I can't remember the exact name I think the most powerful is called the VSX 700 or something. I've been looking into getting a new head to go in my rig and so far I'm liking the GEnz Benz 750 but I keep hearing great things about DHA stuff.

If anyone has what they like, vintage, modern etc. Do they compare to anything. There doesn't appear to be any sound clips on the website for the amps themselves.

[quote name='clauster' post='230324' date='Jul 1 2008, 09:55 AM']Well this was fifth in the list -

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=6172&hl=DHA+400"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=...&hl=DHA+400[/url][/quote]

There are a couple of reviews in that thread but please bare in mind they are early prototype models. We have made improvements after talking to the first few owners and we are upgrading their amps in return. The production models are now hitting the streets and the first VTX-700-Bass is in the final stages of production.

I am still offering a discount on the first five production models sold, 3 sold so 2 left at the old price in return for reviews, etc.

Dave

Thanks Clauster dude, your search-fu is strong.

It seems from general reviews that the one tone you struggle to get out of the DHA amps is the Hi-fi ultra clear tone you get from a solid state; would you say this is a fair assesment Dave?

Since this is a tone I do need to use I'm not sure if I'd be better off looking at something else with maybe one of DHAs switchable pre-amps to augment the sound and get the valvey goodness.

Edited by Mr Cougar

[quote name='Mr Cougar' post='230351' date='Jul 1 2008, 10:33 AM']Thanks Clauster dude, your search-fu is strong.

It seems from general reviews that the one tone you struggle to get out of the DHA amps is the Hi-fi ultra clear tone you get from a solid state; would you say this is a fair assesment Dave?

Since this is a tone I do need to use I'm not sure if I'd be better off looking at something else with maybe one of DHAs switchable pre-amps to augment the sound and get the valvey goodness.[/quote]

I have been looking at making the valve power stage switchable by it's fair to say the tone is still very valvey given the pre-amp is valve as well.

The is a VTX-Bass version which is a valve pre-amp with a 2-3W power stage so you still get the output valve tone as well. It's really a VTX-400 or VTX-700 without the power stage. Or we do valve pre-amps without the valve power stage. You could use these as switchable pre-amps with a super clean power amp.

Dave