Why become a member? ×

Little Bastard

Stroopy121

Cab sensitivity is something I've never given much thought to, so that could be the big difference. I've bought an LB212 and it's due any day, will bring that into the practice room
and try it. I reckon that the 810 I was using was a pretty low sensitivity (I think it was an Ashdown MAG series but can't be sure for now).

...and thanks for all the input!

xx

Edited by Stroopy121

• 2 months later...

[quote name='Jestermab' timestamp='1387244491' post='2309888']

[*]Buy 4x matched Cryo Electro Harmonix EL84 output valves (15% bigger vacuum tubes) and replace the wooly sounding smaller JJ Tesla valves - Which IMHO are better in AC30's! (Watford valves provides the cryo EH tubes for £75)
[*]Buy a phillips ECC82 (12AU7) valve approx £45 and replace this in the ECC82 slot (the other two ECC83 work fine) This give more definition in the played note and allows the amp to be driven HARD
[/quote]

Does this give you more headroom? More power?

I have gig with my 2 weeks ago and I can see the LB30 will not handle a small venue on its own with guitar and drum playing at decent level. It will only work if I play via a 8x10, 4x12 or 2x15.

I only play my via the TC BC212. Only way to get my volume to match up is to drive the amp hard, this means more dirty tone and less clean tone. It works on most of the songs I play but some songs I prefer much cleaner tone.

If odour band play quiet or doing some quiet stuff the amp sound superb, nice thick warmth tone.

I know have a trace Elliot vintage amp to do bigger gig.

So what are the alternatives out there to the LB30?

There's the Marshall Treble and Bass 2061x which is 20w but I'm unaware of anything else in the sub 50w all tube bass amp category. I know Ashdown do a 15w one but that really is a bit small.

Is it time to commission someone like Matamp or MJW to make one?

[quote name='Sean' timestamp='1395083466' post='2398488']
So what are the alternatives out there to the LB30?

There's the Marshall Treble and Bass 2061x which is 20w but I'm unaware of anything else in the sub 50w all tube bass amp category. I know Ashdown do a 15w one but that really is a bit small.

Is it time to commission someone like Matamp or MJW to make one?
[/quote]

I doubt you would tell much difference between 15 and 20 watts, its only a 1.25dB increase in output. It might make a small difference at breakup levels, but if youre playing clean you really wont notice.

[quote name='Mikey R' timestamp='1395084183' post='2398504']

I doubt you would tell much difference between 15 and 20 watts, its only a 1.25dB increase in output. It might make a small difference at breakup levels, but if youre playing clean you really wont notice.
[/quote]

I've never had the need to play clean. I've read that the 2061x packs a big punch. Is that 1.25 dB based on through the same cab?
How do you calculate that?

[quote name='Sean' timestamp='1395084683' post='2398519']
I've never had the need to play clean. I've read that the 2061x packs a big punch. Is that 1.25 dB based on through the same cab?
How do you calculate that?
[/quote]

All things being equal - which they never are - the increase of decibels is = 10 x log(ratio of ouput power)

So, if you had an amp that could deliver a clean 15 watts, and another that could deliver a clean 20 watts into the same cab, the decibel increase would be 10 x log (20 / 15) which is approximately 1.25 dB.

In reality, the complexities of the distortion characteristics, compression, and frequency response, coupled with the way that the ear and brain respond to these things, means that maximum power output is only one of a ton of variables. And like you said, thats before we even consider the cab. Its very likely that the 15 watt amp could sound fuller and punch harder than the 20 watt amp. Even a clean amp isnt really that clean.

So, the difference in volume between the 15 watter and 20 watter might not be what you would expect. Saying a 15 watt amp is too quiet and a 20 watt amp is just right isnt really useful.

I tested this theory over the weekend, by taking two of the output tubes out of my Little Bastard and plugging my 8 ohm cab into the 4 ohm socket. There really wasnt much in it, I wanted to believe that the tone was a little thicker that closer to saturation, but I doubt I would notice unless I knew in advance I was only putting out 15 watts.

Thats kinda why valves are so awesome. :D

Edited by Mikey R