Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Mini mixer

If I wanted to run vocal, bass and acoustic guitar into a mini-mixer, into a head-rush pedal and then into a PA, where should the DI go?
Basically I was thinking of doing some live looping stuff using bass and guitar and I'd only be playing one at a time, should I go

Bass/Guitar/Vocal (simultaneously) > channels 1, 2, 3 of the mixer > head rush > DI > PA

Actually, yes - there's no need to put anymore options on there as everything needs to go through the head rush in order to make loops with guitar, bass and vocal, therefore the question is, is there any reason why I shouldn't put vocal through a DI box, or does that not apply because it's the output from the head rush?

If you can decipher that jumble of words, opinions welcomed!

That setup sounds just about ok. Theres no problems with using a DI box with vocals, the DI box just insures that the signal is kept in good order by its balanced connection to the desk. Which it normally is anyway when its connected via an XLR to the desk.

Only thing to bear in mind is that the sound man has absolutely no control over the level of vocal, guitar and bass, etc - anything thats in that loop pedal comes to him as flat, so if the guitars are too quiet for example - tough - unless he can get to the desk, he can't change it. So you'll want a comprehensive sound check test beforehand to make sure the levels are right for the audience once they come out of the loop pedal.