Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

hartke 7000 vs 4000

ash2008

looking for a new head and wondered if anyone has had any experience with either head? found the 7000 at 100quid more than the 4000 and wondered if it was worth the extra money?out of interest would i be right in thinking these are both better than an ashdown mag 300?

They're very different animals. The 4000 has a single 400W amp, whereas the 7000 has a pair of 350W amps. The 7000 can be run in Biamp or mono mode, so if you run a 2x10 and a sub (for example) that's the one to go for. I pretty much use 1 channel on mine most of the time - more than enough for most situations.

As to whether they're better than Ashdowns, that's pretty subjective - one mans meat and all that. I personally prefer Hartke to Ashdown, but don't take my word for it - use your ears.

Andy

I'm using the HA4000 at the moment, I'm pleased with it so far but I'm not taking full advantage of the controls initially I did spend time with different settings and would say it's capable of good tonal shaping/EQ results, it's also very powerful. It has an output for a subwoofer, not sure if that's the same thing as the 7000. You can also get super deep bass or sub harmonics with it's D bass EQ.

I've also used an Ashdown and had a great sound from that on a gig, I wouldn't say one is better than the other...both good amps, all a matter of taste really :)

generally im looking for a brighter sound so i reckon hartke is more for me. So the 7000 isnt just an extra 300watts, its a different model so to speak?i read on in hartkees brochure that the 4000 is 'latest in hartke amp technology' which made me think it has more features.
sorry noob question coming up: would i be right in thinking with the 7000 i could link two cabs due to the 2x350 whilst with the 4000 only one?i currently own a 8ohm cab at 400w, now if i connected that to the 7000 and then bought a 4ohm cab and connected that to the head too would i have a 4ohm in parallel with a 8ohm thus making 2.67ohms total, which would be too low for the 7000? i think i said that right...

The 7000 can handle two 4 Ohm cabs, or four 8 Ohm. To be quite honest, unless you want the biamp facility or the ability to drive a wall of cabs, then the 7000 will be overkill.

Have you given any thought to the HA3500? They have the same front end as the 7000, can be picked up pretty cheaply these days, and the difference between 350 and 400 Watts is less than 1dB (ie you'll never notice it)

Andy

[quote name='Alien' post='227143' date='Jun 26 2008, 10:08 AM']The 7000 can handle two 4 Ohm cabs, or four 8 Ohm. To be quite honest, unless you want the biamp facility or the ability to drive a wall of cabs, then the 7000 will be overkill.

Have you given any thought to the HA3500? They have the same front end as the 7000, can be picked up pretty cheaply these days, and the difference between 350 and 400 Watts is less than 1dB (ie you'll never notice it)

Andy[/quote]

That 7000 sounds like some serious gear. Agree with Alien on considering the 3500 and going by past comments and players who use the 3500 on this forum, it's a powerful amp and has the valve/tube circuit???? and delivers!

i did consider the ha3500 but with the 4000 going for just 100quid felt no point getting 3500 for more money...but then i thought the same about the 7000! and now the trace elliot head in this listing is going for 100quid [url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/TRACE-ELLIOT-350-WATT-STACK-WITH-PAIR-OF-2-X-10-CABS_W0QQitemZ320263842083QQihZ011QQcategoryZ10171QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/TRACE-ELLIOT-350-WAT...1QQcmdZViewItem[/url] but cant find anything on the internet about series 6, they any good?or more to the point better than the hartke?

[quote name='ash2008' post='227541' date='Jun 26 2008, 06:22 PM']i did consider the ha3500 but with the 4000 going for just 100quid felt no point getting 3500 for more money...but then i thought the same about the 7000! and now the trace elliot head in this listing is going for 100quid [url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/TRACE-ELLIOT-350-WATT-STACK-WITH-PAIR-OF-2-X-10-CABS_W0QQitemZ320263842083QQihZ011QQcategoryZ10171QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/TRACE-ELLIOT-350-WAT...1QQcmdZViewItem[/url] but cant find anything on the internet about series 6, they any good?or more to the point better than the hartke?[/quote]

£100? that's good! I used to have a Trace Elliot 300watt GP7 SM Preamp, that was another good amp, out of the three you've mentioned, personally it's Hartke for me but ask another player, they may say Ashdown or Trace. It really is all down to you mate :)