Why become a member? ×

Flight Cases/Rack mounting

fusionbassist1

Hello everyone,

It's been a while.

I'm currently using an Ampeg Portabass 800 through a Gallien Krueger Neo 212 (loving it niceguyhomer) and also a Hughes & Kettner "Crunch Master" pre-amp thing that all together look like this.....

I'm now lucky enough to be looking at gigging abroad in the near future and recently experienced my first domestic flight where a bass had to be taken with me (and thank god I had a hard case after seeing the tears on the case's tolex :| ) so I've been thinking about a few things to do with my gear that I was hoping you fine low end warriors could help me with.

firstly I've read that the portabass comes with optional rack ears but as i bought second hand from the states i don't have the luxury of having them so could someone please tell me what kind of ones I should be looking for to put the head in a 4/3U flight case?

The other issue is that the preamp is rather delicate and allthough not great in an expensive kind of way (many of you may snigger but it's the tone not the means that counts in my book) it still gets what I want and therefore deserves to be looked after so i'd also like to have it rackmounted. It gets EXTREMELY hot and is an unusual size (from what I've seen) so I have honestly no idea how to go about this. The front panel is 8 and a half inch across,near abouts 2" tall with it's tiny little rubber feet and very nearly 8 inch deep.it's front panel (with all the knobs) is held on with 6 screws - one on each side, 2 on top and 2 on bottom (they can just about be seen in the picture).

In regards with flight casing cabs. In my head it should be done because speakers if not aluminium are extremely fragile and if a fragile piece of my equipment is out of my sight and very likely in the hands of someone who doesn't quite respect the usefullness of a Gallien-Krueger 2x12" Neodymium bass cab then I'd quite like to have something in place to save any un-necessary costs.
How much money and from whom can I get a flight case for a neo2x12 (and possibly a neo115 in the near future) in the uk?

**I'm now going to post a thread in general discussion to do with endorsment and the funding of a trip to a competition in Sweden with a young band I play with and it would be very much appreciated if anyone with experience with that kind of stuff could go have a look and get in contact**

thanx very much for any comments, much appreciated.

[quote name='fusionbassist1' post='226890' date='Jun 25 2008, 07:53 PM']The other issue is that the preamp is rather delicate and allthough not great in an expensive kind of way (many of you may snigger but it's the tone not the means that counts in my book) it still gets what I want and therefore deserves to be looked after so i'd also like to have it rackmounted. It gets EXTREMELY hot and is an unusual size (from what I've seen) so I have honestly no idea how to go about this. The front panel is 8 and a half inch across,near abouts 2" tall with it's tiny little rubber feet and very nearly 8 inch deep.it's front panel (with all the knobs) is held on with 6 screws - one on each side, 2 on top and 2 on bottom (they can just about be seen in the picture).[/quote]

You might be able to make your own rack case ears by getting a 2U blank panel (1U might do it), cutting it down so you've got two end pieces about 7-8" long, drilling some holes in the inner ends, and bending those at the appropriate places, then attaching them to the preamp with little screws or bolts.

[quote name='fusionbassist1' post='226890' date='Jun 25 2008, 07:53 PM']In regards with flight casing cabs. In my head it should be done because speakers if not aluminium are extremely fragile and if a fragile piece of my equipment is out of my sight and very likely in the hands of someone who doesn't quite respect the usefullness of a Gallien-Krueger 2x12" Neodymium bass cab then I'd quite like to have something in place to save any un-necessary costs.
How much money and from whom can I get a flight case for a neo2x12 (and possibly a neo115 in the near future) in the uk?[/quote]

[url="http://www.flightcasewarehouse.co.uk/"]Flightcase Warehouse[/url] would do you one - they might have one the right size in their standard range, otherwise they can make you one.