Why become a member? ×

vintage tone debate 1006: is there a OE vintage string still produced?

iconic

Ok, what strings were being used back in the day and can they still bought new today..... otherwise its all cork sniffing isn't it from my laymans view?

Theres oodles of threads on strings effecting tone even that flats dont all sound the same....I know it was all flats back then and but i'm guessing there wasn't much choice around?

cheers

PS OE Original Equipment

Edited by iconic

[quote name='iconic' timestamp='1384160819' post='2273259']
Ok, what strings were being used back in the day and can they still bought new today..... otherwise its all cork sniffing isn't it from my laymans view?

Theres oodles of threads on strings effecting tone even that flats dont all sound the same....I know it was all flats back then and but i'm guessing there wasn't much choice around?

cheers
[/quote]

Definitely not all flats. I have a set of unopened strings from the 50's, Fender originals, and they are rounds. I also have a 60's set, again Fender, and rounds. I dont think there was much choice around, up to about '57, as there simply werent the basses, but after 1960 there were oodles more, and therefore more people making strings, and different types. .

Interesting thanks for the reply, I always thought Rotosound invented the roundwound, I never knew rounds were around in the 50's B).

1/ What gauges are they out of interest?

2/ These Fender strings you have, do they have made by Squier (Squire) anywhere on the pack per chance?

[quote name='iconic' timestamp='1384164436' post='2273306']
Interesting thanks for the reply, I always thought Rotosound invented the roundwound, I never knew rounds were around in the 50's B).

1/ What gauges are they out of interest?

2/ These Fender strings you have, do they have made by Squier (Squire) anywhere on the pack per chance?
[/quote]

I dont recall from memory, but i will endeavour to look this evening,a nd try and get some pics of the packets. Rick