Why become a member? ×

Hi All

jonno1981

After following this forum for bloody ages I thought its about time I registered and took part a bit more! I'm John and I've been playing bass for about 10 years in various angry, noisey rock bands and a few function things.

At the moment my main band is a very Prog infused instrumental 3 piece called heights (cue obligitory myspace link) www.myspace.com/heightsuk We take our influeneces from Genesis, Yes, Rush, Dredg, Porcupine tree type stuff. Its all unusual tunings/time signatures and I really really enjoy it.

Gear wise its taken me years and a terrifying amount of cash to find the set-up I have at the moment which I am 100% happy with. After trying: Fender, Lakland, Modulus, Warwick, Alex at the Gallery showed me his stock of Sadowsky's and I was really blown away. The only bass I have is a Metro MV4 in see through white and I adore it. It just works so well for the stuff I like playing and is nice and light without sacrificing any lows when amplified.

Amp wise my gigging head is a 4-5 year old Ashdown rc 500 evo which has stood up to a lot of abuse and bashing around without skipping a beat. At one stage is was being used for 10-12 hours a day when it was in a rehersal room business I got involved in for a bit. Everything still works and it still fills a room nicely with a very deep rumbly low end. It is a bassy head and probably lacks a lot of treble response compared to a lot of the newer brands like PJB or Mark bass but it fits the gigs I play really well.

I used to use ABM 2x10 and 1x15 cabs which sounded huge but were a real pain in the arse to move around so I switched to neo cabs a few years ago. I got a tech soundsystems 2x12 which stood up amazingly well as a standalone for small to medium size gigs. As a monitor it's immense as its so bright sounding and articulate but it lacked a little bit of absolute bottom end so I've recently upgraded to a Schroeder 410l. After looking on basschat and talkbass I got interested in this brand which seems to be on the up and have universal positive reviews and more importantly examples of great service when problems came up. I got a great recomendation from a member of this board called water ontyne which helped me to decide to buy one. It weighs next to nothing and sounds ridiculous. I have never had so many comments on my sound since I got this cab. For anyone who still drags about 40kg plus 4x10s like the old Trace cabs you really should try one of these. It sounds really ballsy and rock and roll and I cant say enough good things about it.

Right rig talk over. See you on the forums!