Why become a member? ×

Battery box on a jazz?

Deep Thought

Our drummer is getting quite keen on playing the bass, and has been asking my advice for several weeks on what to get. I said 'try loads and see what suits you.' I explained the differences, and he has been seeking my opinion on several he's been interested in. Being a Precision man myself, I have steered him in that direction, mainly so I can nab it off him cheap when he gets fed up with it. :-) Now I find the bloody traitor has bought a Jazz! I've owned two Jazzes, neither of which I kept long, because I don't like the slim neck or the offset body. His thinking is he's picked it up off the 'Bay cheap, and if he doesn't get on with it he'll move it on. I've not seen it yet, but he says it has a battery box on the back (I don't think he's actually taken delivery himself). He's also been told it's a Mex, bought from Manson's. I'm no expert on Jazzes, I know there are loads of different models, which ones are likely to have active pickups? It doesn't sound like it's been modded so I'm assuming a particular edition with active pickups.

As you were-I've managed to get hold of him, seen the Ebay listing, it's a standard Mex Jazz, but the pickup is an addition. Sold by somebody who bought it as a beginner, didn't get on with it and sold it on. The pickup is apparently 'the best you can get' but it doesn't specify what sort or who did the mod-Manson's, hopefully. He's picking it up tomorrow so no doubt I'll find out soon. It looks nice though.

TBH no, and this is what I was wondering-I'm only going on what the listing says, and I don't know enough about Jazzes. It's black with a white scratchplate and rosewood fingerboard, which leads me to think it's a modded standard Jazz, as the Deluxes don't come in the black/white colour combo.

Edited by Deep Thought