Why become a member? ×

Music licencing laws - I need some help

The Dark Lord

Hi

Can anyway help me to find the right information?

We've been booked to play a private party in a pub next Saturday. The client has just called up to say that we can only play as a duo - as the landlord says that he only has a licence for two musicians to perform.

I spoke to an agent at tonight's gig. He tells me that law no longer exists (I did hear something about that).

If it indeed no longer exists, I'd like to go down the venue tomorrow and show them evidence of the relevant law change and see if I can persuade him to let us play with the three of us (meaning that we can use the drummer instead of the drum machine).

That'll make for a better gig.

So, if you can point me to a web resource or something?

Thanks in advance!

Hi,

The venue itself will need to have either a premises licence or a temporary event notice in place, which ever is being used it will need to state public entertainment as part of it. If it does then it will be licenced to do this 'licensable activity' between certain hours. The old 'oh you can only play as a duo' doesn't stand any more under the licensing act 2003.

If they have applied for a temporary event notice and expressly stated a duo or acoustic type act then the police licensing offers can enforce that under the regulation, however it is also stated in the act that it is the responsibility of either the designated premises supervisor (under a premises licence) or 'premises user' (under the temporary event notice) to ensure that all is above board and therefore no blame can be apportioned to the performers if the licensable activities that have been applied for/ agreed to are breached.

If you do go down there tomorrow, then ask to see either the premises licence summary (should be on display behind the bar) or a copy of the temporary events notice that the organisers will have to have submitted to the local licensing authority including any subsequent correspondence from the police which may detail any amendments to the original application for the event. Both of these will say what they are and are not licensed to do.

Drop me a PM if you have any questions once you've seen them.
Cheers
Gui.

Thank you. Armed with the info above, I spoke to my mother in law's best matey who is the local county councillor for the ward where the pub is.

She knew about the law change but double checked with her mate who is the Chairman of the licencing committee on the council. He said it would be fine and he said to tell me to call a particular officer at the council tomorrow to advise them of the event.

In the meantime, council mate of mother in law is popping in to the pub (just so happens she's a regular there) to advise the landlord that all is fine.

The pub actually does have an entertainments licence but I have been advised that this will not be relevant just so long as there less than 200 people there (there will be about 100) and that we don't play ouside the hours of 8 pm to 11 pm.

All we have to do now is to get the pub to agree that all of that is fine but hopefully Mrs councillor will do that bit for me.

Thans for the advice gents.