Why become a member? ×

50's Reissue Precision Bass w/Telecaster Bass Neck Pickup

AsterL

So not much of a build diary to this one as its already finished. Oops! =)

Anyway this bass started of life as a Black 50's reissue Fender Precision with a laquer neck looking like this:

Now however it looks like this now!!!

Here's a run down of what I had done to the bass:
[b]- Added Telecaster Bass/Mudbucker Pickup[/b] (This is the hottest pickup in the world. It is SO VERY LOUD)

[b]- Replaced stock pickup with a Bare[/b] [b]Knuckle 58 Split.[/b] Really Brings out the sound of the bass. Probably the best P bass pickup I have heard and would recommend everyone upgrade if they can!

[b]- Added a 3 way Telecaster Pickup Selector. [/b]Standard Postion 1 Tele Bass, Postion 2 both, Postion 3 P Bass

[b]- Added Darkstrike from Talkbass Coil Tap Switch for Tele Bass pickup on Mini Toggle. [/b]The switch diagram can be found here:[url="http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f8/taming-beast-squier-vm-telebass-mudbucker-524029/"]http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f8/taming-beast-squier-vm-telebass-mudbucker-524029/[/url] I find this switch INCREDIBLY versitile and really expands the usability of the Tele bass pickup. Surprisingly the Parallel position on the switch is the brightest rahter than the single coil. If you have a bass with a Tele Pickup in it, do this mod! it helps so much. Positions 1- Full Humbucker(series) 2- Single Coil(Bridge Coil) 3- Full Humbucker(Parallel)

[b]- Replaced Pots with two 280k pots from Bareknuckle.[/b] And they are bright as anything!

[b]- Pots changed to Jazz bass style independant Volumes for each pickup.[/b] No Tone control, never used it.

[b]- Added Styling.[/b] Added P bass Pickup Cover, Lion pendant (I call the bass PantheraLeo, Yes I'm one of THOSE guys who names their basses, shut up!) Jazz Bass Knobs, Racing Strips (just black electrical tape, will replace as it gets dirty) I orginally added a Jazz bass bridge cover, but found I wanted to play palm muted and with my thumb a lot so I took it off. Its actually a nice touch to still have holes there as if it were a 50's P bass with the covers taken off.

I think that pretty much covers it for the build on the bass. What do you guys think of it? I can say having played it, that this is exactly what I was looking for out of the bass when I started this little project. I really wanted to be able to switch to a darker, muddier sound for quiet sections of sounds, and to get Old School bass tone on so many records. With both pickups on full its actually quite clean and bright. I play a lot of chords, and middle position is my go to for that. The P bass is very aggressive and drives tube amps well.

I was thinking of getting the bass reliced at some point, but because the finish it nitro i'll just wait a few years and do it myself over time!

[b]Word to wise when modding this bass. [/b]Be very care taking the pickguard off and on the bass, Because the finish is so thin, the metal scratch plate with mark the paint. But thats not problem if you are looking for the roadworn look like I am!

If you guys are interested, I can post sound samples over the weekend of the bass.

• 1 month later...