Why become a member? ×

HELP! PA Speaker placement when playing on a stage?

Walker

Hello again,

We are playing a 150 capacity hall on the weekend and I've just found out we are on a stage rather than at punter level :(

Our 3K PA consists of tops and subs. I assume the subs should be at floor level, but should the tops (on stands) be on the floor too or on the stage with us?

I've read that the tops should be 2 feet above head height.

What should I do?

Cheers,

Chris

I'd probably sit the tops directly on top of the subs (without poles) on the stage, then you'll get some sound on stage and the tops will be roughly the right height (unless the stage is really high).

Or if you have decent foldback, you could put them in front of the stage, but I'd prefer them closer to the band, so you get the sounds from the same place (and less chance of beered up punters falling over them)

Personally I would not put the subs on the stage, most stages are hollow underneath so you'll get a truckload of booom on stage whereas everything out front will sound quite thin by comparison. Everyone on stage will tell you to turn your bass down even though nobody in the audience can really hear it. If you can, I'd get your bass guitar speaker off the floor of the stage too.

Put the subs in front of/at the side of the stage at floor level. Then put the tops above head height (audience head) by whatever means and you'll be fine.