Why become a member? ×

Musicman Stingray 5 or Sadowsky 5

Willmill_77

Hi all,

I had the opportunity to try a Sadowsky UV70MW Metroline 5 String and was blown away by the sound and feel.

It has much more power than a Jazz bass.

My question is how would you compare this to a stingray 5. I was told that they feel similar.

Is this the case?

Are the neck profiles close?

Many thansk - you will influence a buying decision here!

cheers

W :)

[quote name='Willmill_77' post='220050' date='Jun 16 2008, 05:19 PM']Hi all,

I had the opportunity to try a Sadowsky UV70MW Metroline 5 String and was blown away by the sound and feel.

It has much more power than a Jazz bass.

My question is how would you compare this to a stingray 5. I was told that they feel similar.

Is this the case?

Are the neck profiles close?

Many thansk - you will influence a buying decision here!

cheers

W :)[/quote]

I believe that the stingray has pretty narrow spacing (17mm from memory) whereas the Sadowsky will be I think 19mm.

They are both great basses and you should really try a stingray as well and then pick the one you prefer and if it was me I would plump for the Sadowsky :-)

Steve

Well there is quite a price difference between a SR5 and the UV. The Gallery in Camden always has plenty of both makes and to be honest, in terms of comfort, quality and versatility even a normal MV5 or RV5 wins hands down. The neck on a Sadowsky has wider spacing - especially at the bridge - but the overall neck profile is very comfortable.

I find that the nut on every SR5 I have tried (and I've played probably 30 or more) is cut very strangely - the G is very close to the edge of the fingerboard. My technique is fairly light but the G keeps slipping off the board. I've looked into this (thought I was going mad!) and the G is typically 1.5mm from the edge of the fingerboard. Most basses leave about 3-3.5mm, so I guess it is just the way MusicMan designs their basses. SR5's do have a habit of being heavy sometimes too, whereas every Metro I have tried was lightweight and solid.

Sonically of course they're very different beasts - a SR5 has one big humbucker at the bridge with a coil tap and eq, whereas an UV will have 2 single coils, vol, pan, 2-band boost-only eq with passive bypass and the Vintage Tone Control (like a passive tone on a Fender, but without losing highs - regular Metros don't have it). It is down to personal preference but, having owned both basses, I would say without hesitation that the Sadowsky is a better buy (and it will be worth a lot more second-hand should you ever tire of it!)
Best of luck with your choice
Mat

Edited by XB26354