Why become a member? ×

Crackling Active Studio Monitors (Adam A5)

dougal

[color=#000000][font=verdana, geneva, lucida,]I bought a pair of Adam A5s from DV about... three years ago (I'm guessing, may be slightly longer). Been very happy with them, they've seen a lot of use. [/font][/color]

[color=#000000][font=verdana, geneva, lucida,]They're in a smoke free studio, but recently one of them has started making odd noises - if you imagine you're turning a dirty pot and that sort of rough sound with the occasional crackle. Recently it's deteriorated and now the volume is fluctuating too.[/font][/color]

[color=#000000][font=verdana, geneva, lucida,]I thought it may be an some external source (mixer, audio interface), but the noises persist (on a sporadic but getting more persistent basis) even when only the power is plugged in. [/font][/color]

[color=#000000][font=verdana, geneva, lucida,]Questions: [/font][/color]
[color=#000000][font=verdana, geneva, lucida,]It's only happening in one, can I therefore rule out the power supply (as in, out of the wall) as a source of the noise? [/font][/color]
[color=#000000][font=verdana, geneva, lucida,]Is this a known issue with this model (the internet doesn't seem to think it is)?[/font][/color]
[color=#000000][font=verdana, geneva, lucida,]What's my best course of action? [/font][/color]
[color=#000000][font=verdana, geneva, lucida,]Does anyone know if Adam have licenced / approved repairers? The adam web-site isn't much help, the closest I can find is [url="http://www.adam-audio.com/en/pro-audio/faq#1006"]http://www.adam-audio.com/en/pro-audio/faq#1006[/url] - [/font][/color]
[color=#000000][font=verdana, geneva, lucida,]"Answer: Should service be required, please contact the ADAM Audio dealer where the product has been purchased."[/font][/color]

[color=#000000][font=verdana, geneva, lucida,]I would prefer somewhere local and trustworthy. [/font][/color]