Why become a member? ×

the ashdown sound

bassmansky

I play a MAG 300. I would use the word 'warm' not wooly. I've been perfectly happy with what I can get out of it, however I now have a trace 715 which admittedly does have more bite. I'd really like to get my hands on a Gallien Kruger RB 700. Had a hired one to play through on tour last month and it sounded great- had that lively sort of X factor to it. But, am perfectly happy with my MAG until funds materialize...

I've A/B compared the flat sound of the old ABM head and cabs against the Klystron/Classic head an cabs and there is quite a difference. The ABM gear flat does lack mid-range and is naturally a more 'vintage' (a much nicer way of saying woolly :huh: )sound. The Klystron/Classic combination is far more lively and modern sounding with greater mid-range and response.

All Ashdown gear has an amazing amount of EQ and sound tweaking onboard so you can probably get just about any sound out of it, but when I'm reviewing gear in a shop I will always spend some time with the dials 'flat' to check out the 'natural' voice of the amp.

EDIT: I'll also add that a great solo sound does not always make a great band sound and visa versa. It all makes things rather complicated when buying gear :)

Edited by peted

I've tried ashdown stuff in the past and it has sounded pretty woolly and undefined. But i bought an EB180 head with MAG210T and 115 cabs, and it doesn't sound like that at all! Though i did do some experimenting and found that i get a bit of that woolly sound if i JUST plug in the 115 cab, but when i have both, the 210 adds the high end and keeps the sound nice and defined, and it's not far off the ampeg combo i had in terms of sound quality, i really like it. I think the ashdown amps i tried before must have been 115 combos, because i really like this setup!