Why become a member? ×

Hondo II "tribute" bass

chriswareham

Picked up my new baby today, and I'm thoroughly delighted with it. I travelled all the way from North London to Exeter on a nine hour round trip to collect a Hondo II Rickenbacker clone. It was briefly listed on eBay before some eagle eyed Rickenbacker snob presumably had the listing pulled. The seller got a notification that he was selling "counterfeit" goods, and that his listing would be removed. Fortunately I'd already sent a message to the seller, and subsequently arranged a price and to collect in person.

On getting to Exeter, the bass proved to be completely original, even down to the set of strings that it left the shop with (light gauge flat wounds that you wont be surprised to learn are now completely devoid of tone). It also had protective cellophane on the scratchplate, which surprised me as I though this was a recent innovation. It's a 4001 copy, with the more delicate lower horn than the later 4003, and "button top" pickups. It also has a string damper, but the rubber has perished with age. The major difference from the Ricky 4001 is the bolt on neck, but apart from that it's surprisingly well made for what I understood to be the bargain end of the Japanese Ricky clones.

It'll be off to a good luthier later in the week for renovation and a bloody good set up, but I can hardly wait to try it through a 1979 Clone Theory pedal for that authentic Peter Hook experience. The only question now is what to do with the Rockinbetter clone I recently bought, having despaired of ever finding a Hondo like Hookys!

Edited by chriswareham

It's not a rickenbacker snob, I think it is just ric themselves have these things pulled. My rockinbetter advert lasted a while as I listed it on Friday evening so it went until the Monday morning until it was pulled as a copyright violation.

Brave man posting pictures though, I am sure the ric squad will be heading your way!