Why become a member? ×

NOW can I call myself a double bass player? ;)

Bilbo

[quote name='tinyd' timestamp='1375099077' post='2156612']
That's some fantastic playing Bilbo. I can barely play the first note in each bar at that tempo, but you're really swinging!

Just out of interest, how do you find playing at that tempo affects your note choices? Do you necessarily have to pick from a smaller 'set' of notes? Or is part of the achievement of playing at that tempo that you're able to make the same decisions? From listening, it certainly doesn't seem like you're limiting yourself, but I'd be interested in what's going through your brain at that speed...
[/quote]

Walking lines at that pace are easy, soloing less so. I tend to be thinking three dimensionally, theory/scales/patterns, melody and reacting to what is around me. A bit of theme and variation is in there and the occasional 'lick' I have practiced. Some muscle memory, no doubt; its all in there.

[quote name='Bilbo' timestamp='1375114962' post='2156867']
Walking lines at that pace are easy, soloing less so. I tend to be thinking three dimensionally, theory/scales/patterns, melody and reacting to what is around me. A bit of theme and variation is in there and the occasional 'lick' I have practiced. Some muscle memory, no doubt; its all in there.
[/quote]

Thanks for sharing that Bilbo - however you are doing it, it sounds great and I'll be delighted if I ever sound a fraction as good!