Why become a member? ×

'J' Pickup replacement and other hardware Qs for new project.

boggie

Hey guys,

Just bought a Yamaha BB405 as a new project. I am planning on stripping it, painting the body candy red or purple (or both) then upgrading the hardware. I was thinking individual through body black bridges, black Grovers, new pots (blend, master volume and master tone) with black knurled knobs and replacing the pickups. I have done similar stuff to guitars in the past, built my own from scratch, upgraded many and most recently restored a vintage 335 but this will be my first bass so I would appreciate some advice please :

For the pickups I am looking at Wilkinson WJB5 AlNiCo V any thoughts or alternatives (passive).
Tone cap: either a Vitamin Q or Auricap XO 0.47uF or perhaps a 0.22uF vintage bumble bee clone (damn expensive though)
Pots? 500k master volume, 250k tone with separate blend pot? Any recomendations?

I am looking for a classic vintage Jazz bass sound with a growling bridge and warm rounded neck tone. Any help from the basschat tech sages would be very gratefully received...

Thanks,
B

Edited by boggie

• 2 weeks later...

I'd have a look at DiMarzio 'J' types. They are, essentially, a 'P' pickup, but side by side. However, they can be switched so that each pickup's 2 coils can be in parallel (J sound) or in series (P sound).

Of course, you could also switch them so they could be in parallel or series with each other(!)

Great fun!.

G.