Why become a member? ×

PA amp - using with a monitor speaker. urgent

barryman

Just looking to buy a PA amp with which we need to be able to use a monitor speaker. Some amps seem to have just two speaker outputs, while some have slave or line out. Cam anyone explain to a non-techie like me what we need to have in order to get a monitor speaker as well as the normal speakers?.

Am I right in thinking that a "line out" can be passed through another amp to power a monitor speaker?
Also, if an amp has a "slave output", is that the same thing as a line out???
Lastly, what is a DI output for??

Thanks in advance

[quote name='barryman' timestamp='1374333976' post='2147731']
Just looking to buy a PA amp with which we need to be able to use a monitor speaker. Some amps seem to have just two speaker outputs, while some have slave or line out. Cam anyone explain to a non-techie like me what we need to have in order to get a monitor speaker as well as the normal speakers?[/quote]

Three options - if your 'normal' (which I take to mean front-of-house') speakers are eight ohms each, daisy-chaining those together will give you four ohms, which you can then run from one side of the power amp, and run your monitors from the other side.

[quote]
Am I right in thinking that a "line out" can be passed through another amp to power a monitor speaker?[/quote]

OR, if you have two amplifiers, do this.

The third and best option, if you have two amplifiers and a mixing desk with a spare auxilliary send, is to run your monitors from that - this way you can have a different mix onstage to what the punters hear out-front if you want to, can make the musicians' job easier.

[quote]
Also, if an amp has a "slave output", is that the same thing as a line out???[/quote]

Yes.

[quote]
Lastly, what is a DI output for??

[/quote]

On a bass amp, it's for feeding your signal directly into the PA system.

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=3][b]
Re option below, pls explain: does this mean run two daisy - chained speakers (second speaker run off the back of first speaker?) from ONE speaker output and then use the SECOND speaker output to run a stage monitor?? I'm confused...[/b][/size][/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=3][b]
barryman, on 20 July 2013 - 04:26 PM, said:[/b][/size][/font][/color][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=3]

Just looking to buy a PA amp with which we need to be able to use a monitor speaker. Some amps seem to have just two speaker outputs, while some have slave or line out. Cam anyone explain to a non-techie like me what we need to have in order to get a monitor speaker as well as the normal speakers?[/size][/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Three options - if your 'normal' (which I take to mean front-of-house') speakers are eight ohms each, daisy-chaining those together will give you four ohms, which you can then run from one side of the power amp, and run your monitors from the other side.[/font][/color]

[quote name='barryman' timestamp='1374335151' post='2147760']

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=3][b]Re option below, pls explain: does this mean run two daisy - chained speakers (second speaker run off the back of first speaker?) from ONE speaker output and then use the SECOND speaker output to run a stage monitor?? I'm confused...[/b][/size][/font][/color]
[/quote]

Yup - that's exactly what we do on small pub gigs etc. where only vox is going through the PA - sometimes a bit of kick too.

Yamaha EMX powered mixer (fantastic little box, btw) has 2 power amps with a speaker output each, and can be run in 2 different configurations. Either use each amp to drive each side of the FOH.

Or...as described above - use one amp to drive the FOH (output from one amp into one PA cab, link from that to the other FOH cab) and the other amp drives a couple of wedge monitors. Has separate EQ and volume for each amp, so we're not stuck with the same EQ & volume going to the monitors as goes to FOH.

A very basic setup, but it's dead easy (and quick) to connect it all up, and sounds great.