Why become a member? ×

Trace Elliot GP11 MkV - is there a thermal overload light?

Shylock

So there I was happily playing away last Saturday night at a local pub when my elderly Trace Elliot GP11 Mk V AH250 died halfway through set one. As I also had a AH150 on hand i just swapped it over without checking out too much on the AH250 and carried on. The next day it the AH250 worked.

However it was a hot night, I was playing on volume 3 and it just cut out - panel still lit and power there but I saw a little red light under the words Trace Elliot on the panel, or al least I thought I did. The picture is of the amp working, with no red light.

The cut out could be dry solder joints but I do wonder if just got too hot as I had the fan on normal and not fast (which is an option) . Does anyone know if there is red warning light that comes on after cutting the amp if it overheats?

Cheers

• 4 months later...

I've had a look on the schematic for the mk 5 and there's nothing that looks like a thermal protection circuit of any sort. Sounds like it could be either a ropey joint getting worse as things warm up or a component failing at temperature.
Give me a shout if you want a copy of the service manuals.
Cheers
Andrew

• 2 weeks later...

There is... underneath the Trace Elliot logo there is a blank space... this is where the thermal overload indicator shows... if you look carefully you may just be able to see the graphic, i can't remember what it looks like though.

It only happened to my AH350X once in about 1989, the fan was filthy, after a clean it never happened again.

The amp is designed to stop when it gets to hot... once it cools down, as you say it carries on.