Why become a member? ×

Nut width and neck radius combinations

Jonesy64

Would a 1.75" nut width and 9" neck radius feel fatter than say a 1.5"/9" ?

....and would a 1.5"/12" be shallower than the 1.5"/9" ?

So, a shorter nut width x a wider neck radius would feel like a shallow profile, or I have got it all completely cock eyed!

Thanks, Mark

Bugger me, I couldn't be more wrong!!

Thanks for the quick reply.

So, it is the neck profile that I am trying to get a better understanding of....modern 'C', fat, thin, baseball bat...

Jazz's slimmer than Precisions, modern Precisions slimmer than vintage etc.,

Can you determine just from reading a guitars spec' how one profile compares to another?

I'm thinking back to the Sandbrrg Electra that I tried. Is it like Fenders modern 'C' for example.

trouble is there is no standard terminology, so a Jazz can be 'thin' i.e. 38mm at the nut, but can be quite 'wide' i.e. front to back. whereas a geddy lee jazz is both thin at the nut and slim front to back, and some P's are wide (44 mm nut) but can be fairly thin front to back. there's a much more detailed thread on here somewhere about exactly this subject. i think you can only really get an idea from specs but in the end you have to pick it up 'in the flesh' as it were, and see if it's to your liking.

Thanks again, I'll try and dig up the previous thread.....

I agree of course about trying them out for myself but i am trying to buy second hand so shop examples are not always the best representation.
Same model, different year, different feel and all that!
Maybe I'm getting too hung up about it, at this rate I will have a new amp and no guitar to play...