Why become a member? ×

Swapping out Delanos for Barts? J-Bass mod for added Woof?

[size=4]Having had time to get a handle on my new Mayones Jabba 4, I'm finding that there's something about the tone that is slightly annoying me.[/size]
[size=4]Acoustically, the bass has lovely resonance and sustain, but I have to really push up the LF on the amp (or on the active controls) to get any deepness. The mids and highs are really clear and defined on the bass, but I can't get anywhere near that tone roll off woof that you get with J's. The pickups are Delano JMVC's (the active circuitry is either a Gregory or Mayones' own job BTW).[/size]
[size=4]Would I get more of a vintage vibe if I swapped out the Delanos for Bartolinis or Lindy Fralin split coil jobs? I've got a new set of flatwounds on the way as it's nickel rounds on the bass just now, and they're too toppy for me.[/size]
[size=4]Would changing the value of the capacitor on the passive tone pot help? As it is just now, even with the tone set to minimum, the lower mids are still pretty much there.[/size]

[size=4]I know that the Jabba isn't on a vintage tip, design wise, but it's a beast of a body and I should be able to get more low end action on it as standard..(he said, hopefully!).[/size]

[size=4]Thanks for any advice in advance, BC'ers.[/size]