Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Looking for a new W8 soundcard. Ideas please.

dave_bass5

Just recently my old M-audio card has started to play up. Im getting ticks and clicks when i play any music through my PC, and even when i scroll a window i hear a noise. Its not officially supported under Windows 8, and although i think its something in the system rather than the card i cant be bothered to mess around with it.
Its about 5 or 6 years old now, and in that time ive not kept up with whats around. It does seem like USB has taken over at the lower/mid end of the consumer market.
So im looking for a general sound card, thats fully supported under W8 64bit, has very low latency (ASIO required) and, well, thats it really.
Im not too bothered about real high quality, its just for learning songs really. Low latency is the most important feature.
I only need one input, just for bass, ill never record multiple instruments at once.
I have a small mixer connected already, so that handles all the ins and outs, i just run a stereo feed to the sound card's line in.

Ideally id like an internal sound card, i hate having wires all over the place. Saying that, im wondering if this would do. It looks ideal for the song learning bit, and i could do away with the small mixer, but i cant work out if it can be used as the PC's default audio device (im guessing it can).

http://www.dv247.com/computer-hardware/m-audio-m-track-usb-audio-and-midi-interface--104978

I had an older version before (Fast track IIR) and it wasn't very stable, this was a few years ago though.

Budget is no more than £100, hopefully less. I dont need it for games or home cinema either.

Cheers.

[url="http://www.nevadamusic.co.uk/studio/interfaces/focusrite-2i2-2-in-2-out-?gclid=CI6P_MLpp7gCFdDMtAod4mIAGw"]http://www.nevadamusic.co.uk/studio/interfaces/focusrite-2i2-2-in-2-out-?gclid=CI6P_MLpp7gCFdDMtAod4mIAGw[/url]

£20 more than you want to spend but it has real time monitoring so 0 latency to listen to your own instrument.

The inputs have gain controls so you can alter the volume there and obviously on you PC or Bass to get the correct mix. I have had one for over a year now and can't fault it.

I considered the m track too but the input gain control is a godsend for active instruments you can control clipping as the input lights up green, yellow and red depending on level.

Edited by superclive