Why become a member? ×

5 string - C# standard tuning - Gauge?

Ren Robinson

Hi, im currently playing in a thrash band who use C# standard tuning, I came from years of playing guitar so when I joined I just tuned up the entire 5 string to match there tuning, this is now becoming a problem, I play very aggressively with a pick due to the shear volume the guitarists play at... the tension is so high for me and after a 40/50 minute set my picking hand is starting to ache like hell.

I dont want to shift down a postion and skip the top string when playing as this would be mighty confusing after learning there set in such a short time, and I've tried playing with the tuning down, everything is just to loose :)

I've searched the internet now, and all I get is people talking with technical jargon about gauge's or recommending playing a four string, if I had the money, i would, but I'd prefer just to change strings and it feel like a normal 5 string bass.

If anyone can offer advice, technical is fine as long as it's explained so I can understand it or plays in a similar situation on a 5 string I'd much appreciate your comments

Im playing a Schecter Omen Extreme 5 - 35" btw

Thanks

Not much help, I'm afraid, but two things struck me.

You play so hard that your hand is giving you problems already..
This is NOT good long-term..so I'd be looking to break this cycle.

I'd turn to standard tune _ down a tone -and maybe use a heavy gauge so you could still fight it hard... but also, you should be looking to lessen the strain on your hands.with adjusting your technique.

This means that once you get used to the new tuning and lighter touch on playing you will have to transpose everything at the writing stage if you use any sort of charts or notes.
If you don't then it is just learning the song in another position and no biggie... but you will need to be able to reconcile your tune with the gtrs... so the notes you play relate to what the gtrs play.

I think you have to change tuning as this current regime isn't sustainable..

so your B = gtr C# and you have to think the tone differnce al the time..
You will get used to it...

I wouldn't get involved with a capo... but someone might have a case for it...