Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Bridge and nut material

KingBollock

I had a plan to make a new nut and bridge saddles from stainless steel (303), to match the frets on my Warlock. It isn't working out so well. The problem is that I have no way of tapping screw threads into the holes on the saddles. I am able to tap the aluminium (6082) I have, though. Having experimented I know that I can make the nut from the steel, so I am going to stick to that, but I am going to have to make the saddles from the aluminium. The saddle blocks will only be 4x5x11mm.
I am wondering how difficult it might be to glue the steel to the aluminium if I were to make the saddle blocks 1.5mm shorter and make steel verneers 1.5mm thick with holes drilled to allow access to the threaded holes in the aluminium beneath. Would this be feasible?
More to the point, is there any point in going to the bother? Would the aluminium be good enough anyway? It buffs up to a high shine like steel and, to be honest, this was mostly about aesthetics anyway.

I am tired as I have been awake all night, so this is just a thought that popped into my head as I settled down to read my book before going to sleep. So try not to extract too much Michael when answering, please. I have a few days to think about it and may well come up with other daft ideas in the mean time.