Why become a member? ×

TE GP12smx valve

Plank

Anybody know what the original valve is that was fitted at the factory in the GP12smx is?

i.e. make and model number (ECC83/12ax7-?).

As I would like to get an original for mine (or near as dam it) or poss the equivalent Groove Tubes one me thinks.

It's certainly an ECC83 although I'm unsure to the brand as they simply said 'TE' on the side. It was probably of chinese or russian origin. I do recall the valve having really quite tall plates also.

The best I found in the SMX was the Siemens valve, the tall plate / smooth anode variety. Different valves in the SMX don't actually seem to make that much difference to be fair -in my experience at least- more of a texture change than defining character if that makes sense..

Hope that helps. :D

Hi Tank,
Pete here.

The valve that came with the amp as you bought it is from Watford Valves. It's the one they recommend for that particular amp as a direct replacement valve for the original. The only difference is the one I bought for it is Cryo treated. It has two gigs on it.
They list a few others for it IIRC but for differing results.
Edit,
The one that was fitted when I got it was an Electro Harmonix 12ax7 EH.
As VTypeV4 mentioned, the new one didn't seem to make any difference to the tone of the amp, to my ears at least anyway.

Cheers.
B)

Edited by kennyrodg