Why become a member? ×

Triggering Samples Live

PauBass

We are in the process of adding a kind of atmospheric/electronic side to complement our band's music. This is new for us so not sure how to get this done in a live setting.
Any ideas on how to trigger samples/loops when playing live?
It will be down to our singer to do all the triggering.

Anyone out there doing it? If so, how, please?

Edited by PauBass

Electric drum pads seem to work quite well.

You can assign certain samples to each pad and the drummers triggers everything. Roland and Korg make them.

Alternative is some sort of sampling keyboard. Again, assign the sample to a certain key/bank and trigger it when you need to.

Things get more difficult if you're using time sensitive samples (extra instrument/vocal parts). One way is to play to a click and run a track (with all the samples on it) for the duration of the song.

If you just want to utilise sound effects and keep it simple, a drummer-triggered sample pad is the easier and cheapest way to do it. Sample pads tend to have a massive library of percussion, vocal sounds and sound effects built in. Loads of fun there!

Truckstop

[quote name='Truckstop' timestamp='1370966763' post='2108051']
Electric drum pads seem to work quite well.

You can assign certain samples to each pad and the drummers triggers everything. Roland and Korg make them.

Alternative is some sort of sampling keyboard. Again, assign the sample to a certain key/bank and trigger it when you need to.

Things get more difficult if you're using time sensitive samples (extra instrument/vocal parts). One way is to play to a click and run a track (with all the samples on it) for the duration of the song.

If you just want to utilise sound effects and keep it simple, a drummer-triggered sample pad is the easier and cheapest way to do it. Sample pads tend to have a massive library of percussion, vocal sounds and sound effects built in. Loads of fun there!

Truckstop
[/quote]

Thanks for your advice!
Any particular trigger pad recommendation?

I forgot to add that it will be down to our singer to do all the triggering.

Edited by PauBass

[quote name='danweb22' timestamp='1370967116' post='2108054']
I trigger samples with my feet using the Digitech JamMan Looper pedal. I load the WAV files onto the JamMan at home then trigger them live for certain songs. Great for intros and other FX during songs.
[/quote]

This!

You dont want your singer surrounded by drum pads I assume.Neither will he want to be stuck to a footswitch the whole time. The best solution is for the drummer to do it with a couple of pads and a laptop. Failing that a midi keyboard and laptop for the singer. Maybe some kinda keytar if he wants to look particularly geeky.

With the Digitech JamMan, can you use different samples within the same song? How easy/quick is to do it?

We may have to go with the Midi keyboard and laptop instead...keytar, might be a no, no :D
OK, any recommendations on midi keyboards for this purpose?
What type of software we will need?

[quote name='PauBass' timestamp='1370978281' post='2108273']
With the Digitech JamMan, can you use different samples within the same song? How easy/quick is to do it?
[/quote]

Well for Kasabian's "Club Foot" for example I have the intro loaded for preset 1, then after the intro has finished I push the preset up footswitch to preset 2 for the synth stab bits so very easy indeed! You can also alter the endings of the samples to fade out on command or stop completely or loop if you want.

Edited by danweb22