Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Intro and working out what to play

Vladimir

[font=lucida sans unicode,lucida grande,sans-serif]Hi guys, [/font]

[font=lucida sans unicode,lucida grande,sans-serif]This is my first post, so I apologise if it's in the wrong section.[/font]

[font=lucida sans unicode,lucida grande,sans-serif]I've been neglecting my bass and guitar playing for a few years - although recently a friend of mine has been wanting to learn to play guitar and I thought I'd show her a few things as well as accompanying her on the bass. [/font]

[font=lucida sans unicode,lucida grande,sans-serif]She's shy and self concious, the fact that she plays in front of me is a minor miracle.[/font]

[font=lucida sans unicode,lucida grande,sans-serif]The latest song that she wants to play (and has learned quite well on guitar) is [url="http://www.youtube.com/artist/kate-voegele?feature=watch_video_title"]Kate Voegele[/url][color=#000000][size=5] - Sandcastles [size=3][font=georgia, serif](the guitar tab is here[/font][/size] [/size][/color][/font][url="http://tabs.ultimate-guitar.com/k/kate_voegele/sandcastles_crd.htm"]http://tabs.ultimate...castles_crd.htm[/url])
If you want to listen to it:

It's not metallica or anything, so be warned.

She does prefer it when I play along in some way, as for some reason she feels more comfortable then. Gone are the days when I could pick up a guitar, work out the key and play lead lines over chords, I tried to do it the other day, and failed miserably.

So I thought I'd play along with the bass, which is the whole reason for this long winded post; I am trying to work out what to play.

I couldn't find a bass tab for it online; and even I had found it, it's quite a minimalistic bass part, and I want to play something all the way through.

I'm just getting back into playing bass after a few years and I'm not sure what is the best way to go about working out some nice arpeggios/chords to go with that chord progression. Any chance a kind soul could help me work something out, or at least point me in the right direction?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Edited by Vladimir

Hi & welcome to the forum.

I'd say your song is in the key of Cm so if you use the circle of fifths the chords you want to look for are Cm, Gm, Fm, Eb, Ab & Bb

Hope this helps.

Edit! For getting it wrong (helps if you have a bass in front of you) :blink:

Edited by Horizontalste

[quote name='Horizontalste' timestamp='1370343082' post='2099297']
Hi & welcome to the forum.

I'd say your song is in the key of Cm so if you use the circle of fifths the chords you want to look for are Cm, Gm, Fm, Eb, Ab & Bb

Hope this helps.

[/quote]

Thanks very much [url="http://basschat.co.uk/user/2756-horizontalste/"]Horizontalste[/url].

I will give that a go this evening. It's been ages since I played my bass, I need to get practicing.

I did restring it recently, so all should be good to go :)

When playing the chord, obviously I haven't got the time to play the whole chord one note at a time before the switch, so I suppose I play a few notes out of it... Is there a "rule" to this, or more of a personal preference kind of thing?

Sorry if this is sounding stupid, guys. I'm trying my best to remember the (small amount of) theory and practice I once knew.

I have the "Bass guitar for Dummies" book. What do you guys make of that book, for reference, relearning stuff, etc?

Can someone recommend another book I might want to look at, or a youtube channel that is particularly good?

Cheers

edit: things used to be SO much easier with a drummer and a couple of guitarists that were knowledgeable in bass playing who could help me out along the way.

Edited by Vladimir

As a start, play the root. If there's any more room, the 5th of the chord is always good. Any more room, or you want to underline the major/minorness of the chord? Chuck a 3rd in there. Still got some room? you could use a 7th - this will also emphasise the major/minorness and also let you highlight a dominant chord. Still more room? Try some passing tones (eg a 6th). Also try linking chord changes together with a chromatic passing note.

There ya go...everything you need to know for bass accompaniment in a paragraph, until someone who can actually play comes along with better advice :)

hth

When playing over the chords just listen to the song and get a feel for it, then find the changes and play along with the root notes only. From there you can add fifths of the root or any combination of notes that sound good to you. Starts with notes from the relevant scale & see what you come up with. Oh and Cm was a guess but I don't think I'm far off, sure someone will correct me if its not. Enjoy it and play what you feel.

*edit* what Mickster said hits the nail on the head.

Edited by Horizontalste