Why become a member? ×

Cherry White's new single Dead From The Waist Down out now

I hope nobody minds if I follow xilddx's example and cheekily repost this here, only it seems to have fallen on deaf ears over in the Recording forum (excuse the pun). Just a quick and shameless plug for my band's new single, which you can hear over here:

http://cherrywhite.bandcamp.com/

The song goes by the name [i]Dead from the Waist Down [/i]and is supposed to pave the way for the album we recorded back in March. We've had a couple of positive reviews so far, so I'd love to hear what the BC community makes of it!

No replies yet?

I thought it was good, definitely nostalgia market, certainly sounds like fun! Thought the vocal could do with a bit of extra studio tweakery, or even doubling, to add some more depth and warmth to compete with the rest of the band, but other than that, it's a good listen, and I imagine it's great live.

Thank you!

Yeah, I know what you mean about the vocal - we recorded the whole thing "as live" in one room so the main problem was leakage onto the vocal track, at least with the louder songs. (She actually went and re-recorded the vocal for the follow-up single to avoid this problem.) That said, it's worth hearing live - she barely even needs a mic. Absurdly powerful voice for someone who really isn't that big!

Well I am shocked, I thought here we go another push all sliders to Zero and let the compressor mix the track in to a zero DB grunge noise as just about every recording is these days.
What a huge shock, the track is backed down from zero creating dimension and space you have in that last 2db gap, the secret space that real recording engineers strive to create.
Hats off for breaking the grungilator compressor.
A lot of so called track master mixing engineers could learn a lot here, if I want a loud track, I will turn the volume up, I want space, I want tone, I want to hear the instruments as they are meant to sound.
10/10

Edited by spacey

Thank you very kindly sir!

Yeah, credit where it's due: I think we stumbled upon two excellent people, both for mixing and mastering. Both of them could be sent into a frothing rant about the "loudness war" and how it was killing modern music, their philosophy being "any radio station will compress it to buggery anyway, so we may as well at least make the original copy sound good."

Still, very glad you enjoyed it - thanks for listening and particularly for the feedback!

[quote name='EliasMooseblaster' timestamp='1369843079' post='2093379']
Thank you!

Yeah, I know what you mean about the vocal - we recorded the whole thing "as live" in one room so the main problem was leakage onto the vocal track, at least with the louder songs. (She actually went and re-recorded the vocal for the follow-up single to avoid this problem.) That said, it's worth hearing live - she barely even needs a mic. Absurdly powerful voice for someone who really isn't that big!
[/quote]

Wilko would be proud of you :D

Yeah, funny how tiny women can sing so f***ing loud isn't it!