Why become a member? ×

Yamaha Bass Amp 1970's

Prosebass

This one has stumped me for years...hope someone can help

When I was much younger in about 1979 my wonderful parents bought me the bass amp of my choice for my 16th birthday.
I trundled down to the legendary SAI in Coppull near Chorley and purchased a huge Yamaha setup secondhand for £250 ( a lot of money then)
The cab was about the size of a Marshall 4x12 but deeper, it was grey, had castors on and massive silver metal edging strips.
It was fitted with 3 of Yamaha's own 12" 50 watt 8 ohm bass speakers and also contained the 150 watt into 4 ohms power amp.

The head was a 2 channel pre-amp with sliding 5/6 band equalization controls and 5 pre-set contour buttons.The front was angled. It weighed a ton and was awesome. Being an electrical engineering apprentice after a couple of years I re-wired the speakers to 2 ohms, shook the house to pieces and blew the power amp within a month.

I ended up fitting 2 of the speakers in a cabinet and bought an Orange Valve head, the Yamaha was left in a mates garage and was forgot about in 1982 .I think his dad threw it away.

I have searched the net but can come up with nothing.....any ideas on the model ? I would love another one now.