Why become a member? ×

Ampeg tone on a budget

cameltoe

[quote name='cameltoe' timestamp='1369649027' post='2091132']
Hi Guys,

I've been using an Orange Terror for the past few years now, and have been very happy with it, however I have recently dug out an old Ampeg combo from my shed, circa 1990's (can't recall the model number, but it's a 100w 1 x 15 from the 90's, with push/pull EQ) to use at our rehearsal space, and am l[i]oving[/i] the tone. It just sounds so fat yet defined at the same time. I'm guessing that although this combo was probably a budget line, it reproduces that 'Ampeg' tone that people seem to love so much.

Since I upgraded my cab from an LB212 to a Barefaced Compact I've not been loving the Orange quite as much. The Barefaced is far more articulate than the LB212, which seems to clean up the Orange's sound a bit, but I kinda liked the dark boomyness of it with the LB.

So I'm thinking of going Ampeg, but I will need to do this on a budget, ideally with the funds that the Bass Terror will release when I sell it, and it would have to be a portable head (not going back to back breakers now!). I have been looking at the PF 500 head, and have read some good reviews, but wanted some opinions on this and on any other options, and how they compare to the Bass Terror.

Thanks
[/quote]

If you like the OTB sound, keep the orange and sell the compact.
I tried my OTB with a compact and midget setup, it sounded horrible. It just wasn't a good pairing.

I use mine with a Mesa 2x12 Neo cab, it sounds fantastic.
There are lots of good quality, lightweight cabs on the market these days.

Cheers

Thebassman