Why become a member? ×

Time to upgrade... 5 string and amp.

PaulDB

Hi guys, I have recently moved back to electric 5 string after seven years playing double bass. I have, therefore very little knowledge of electric gear - I have either played completely acoustic or straight into a DI. The first few recording sessions have gone very well but I have noticed my bass doesn't come across as well in recording as it does live, and it also sounds a lot worse overall than it did seven years ago (is this coz my ears are better or my bass is worse?). The B string in particular rattles something awful when I'm bouncing between B and D! There is a huge drop in the midrange output - my amp EQ is permanently rainbow-shaped.

I currently have a Hartke WK5 that I bought from The Bass Centre 10 years ago, well looked after, and no amp I am willing to admit to owning on here. I am hoping to get a decent top (not a combo) and 5 string for around a grand. Any suggestions of makes etc are much appreciated. I am going to be playing in numerous bands so want a good all rounder. I don't tend to play with a pick, nor do I do a lot of slap. I am also interested in sub bass - there is a dance/hip hop element to a lot of what I'll be doing (think early Primal Scream). I have added a link to a soundcloud demo below to help you get an idea of the sound of one of the bands.

Thanks in advance.

https://soundcloud.com/musicbycarousel/the-charm-offensive-1

http://www.samsontech.com/hartke/products/hartke-bass-guitars/wk5/

Edited by PaulDB

Sounds like your current 5 string needs a bit of attention before you junk it matey, a decent set-up will either fix or identify the issues with it and will suggest remedies, if that still doesn't kill the problems then investigate some changes...