Why become a member? ×

RH450 memory button replacement and rotary knob replacement

big rob

Hi all,
I have a Rebel Head 450 and its great however it does have the normal issue of the memory buttons having hairline cracks, the guys at tc are great and they are sending me new buttons, however no advice on how to fit them. Also I have found the rotary knobs are also easy to remove only 2 are not, if I get new ones how are you meant to remove them properly.
Hope you guys can help.

Cheers
Big Rob

can only sugget with the "memory switch" (Im guessing its some kind of binary switch as it dosnt sound like a Lock one like you get with Pedals)
COPY LIKE FOR LIKE ..

As for removing knobs. i think i did see one guy get a PC Blanking Plate and cut a V in to is.. so he could slide it under the knob and Lift them up (dont go for a cheap blacking plate) the only other things to watch out for is ones with GRUB screams to PIN it on.

Im sorry im not much help, but its some thing i guess.. best of luck tho

Cheers for the advice, really need some advice about opening up the rh450, is replacing the memory buttons difficult, do i need to remove all the knobs, only just got the amp second hand and don't want to damage my new toy, please help!!!!
mines the rebel head branded version.

thanks in advance

Big Rob

Looking at the RH450 panel layout with its proliferation of LEDs, I think it's pretty certain that the memory buttons are mounted on a PCB (along with the LED display and various other controls) running parallel with the front panel.

This isn't going to be a sparsely populated interior like the amps of yesteryear and my gut reaction is that, unless you have some experience of dismantling and reassembling this particular type of panel arrangement, you'd probably be far better off getting someone else to do the repair.

Maybe your right but tc are sending me the replacement buttons and say its just a case of opening it up and popping off the old and replacing with the new ones. Someone must have opened one up, would really appreciate the help it anyone has.

[quote name='big rob' timestamp='1368304032' post='2075581']
Maybe your right but tc are sending me the replacement buttons and say its just a case of opening it up and popping off the old and replacing with the new ones. Someone must have opened one up, would really appreciate the help it anyone has.
[/quote]Yes, you just need to open the amp and replace the buttons. The most tricky part is opening the amp. As far as I remember I had to buy a hex key or even a torx key to do it.

Mark

Cheers Mark, there seems to be loads of screws in the casing, is it just the torx head ones i need to remove? also do i have to remove the knobs also or can it be done without doing this?

cheers all for the advice.

regards
Rob

Being frankly I don't remember (I was fixing the amp 2 years ago). You have to know that this is very advanced amp - switching power supply, class-D power amp, digital pramp, figital front panel. And opening it is also not that simple. Try to remove the torx ones and see if this is enough. Regarding the knobs - it depends which ones are already removed. Why can't you remove all the knobs? Are they glued?
If you post a photo of the amp, I may try to remember which screws I removed. But you can just feel it.

Mark

Cheers Mark,
Think i might have a go and see if i can get into the thing. However i might just leave it for a while. However if anyone else has advice on this then please share, I'm sure i cant be the only one that wants to try and make this repair.

thanks to all the advice again, keep it coming

regards

Rob

Hi All,
Now i'm up to 118 views on this thread now so i must not be the only one who is considering or would like to know how to open up the RH450 and do these repairs. There must be someone out there who has done this. If not i will soon be the first and will have to take some pictures and post them up on here, however if i do break it then i hope you will all chip in £3 each for me to buy a new one!!!!! :D

Big Rob

I think that I mentioned that I did it once. It's not easy but once you start doing it, you will do it. It takes less than 1 hour and you waited already 4 days :-(.
This is the amp I was fixing - all modules were removed from the enclosure, including front panel.
[attachment=134879:RH450.jpg]

Mark

Edited by MarkBassChat

Done it

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/207880-how-too-tc-rh450-replacing-the-memory-buttons-and-rotary-knobs-guide/"]http://basschat.co.uk/topic/207880-how-too-tc-rh450-replacing-the-memory-buttons-and-rotary-knobs-guide/[/url]

Edited by big rob