Why become a member? ×

Phil Jones or Fuchs?

TomRichards

Depends what your goals are I suppose. The Fuchs amp is a new one for me. I must say I don't like the way they deliberately try and mislead people in their blurb with their power output spec, which is obviously very accurate and specific. [u]But[/u] it quotes power output as max power output rather than RMS output, which is accepted as the general standard to compare bass amps. Unless people are very on the ball, they will assume that 1000 Fuchs watts are the same as 1000 other manufacturer watts. It's not the same tack as TC electronic took to mislead buyers about power output, but to my mind it is misleading nonetheless.

hamfist, you are correct, and I know Andy Fuchs and I will make sure he takes that into account as they update their tech specs.

I am curious because I have my ideas, but want to know what most others think of the two. Both boutique, and they have showrooms/factories in NJ. I'm going up that way in a week and want to have some thoughts from the Basschat crowd so when I try them out I have some things to look for that I might not have thought to look at.

tom

I have no experience of Fuchs and only knew of them as a guitar amp manufacturer. However, I am a very happy owner of a Phil Jones rig. The sound is so accurate and pure that there is no where to hide if your technique is suspect at all (my own muting shortcomings were highlighted day one) but it is a great sound and I'm constantly amazed at just how much bottom end those tiny drivers in a small enclosure generate. I love the aesthetic of my small rig, but the largest amps and cabs are very different to look at with their angles. PJ are a delight to deal with, they answered my questions very quickly and efficiently with Phil himself answering a particularly technical one.