Why become a member? ×

Heyo

Lordmad11

Heyo, I thought what would I do if I never introduced myself so here it goes:
Only about a few months ago I picked up my very first bass guitar. People said I was crazy cause no one teaches it around here. Well it turns out no one does. So I've been trying my best to teach myself, having an occasional lesson from somebody about fretting, holding etc etc. I found it really fun, until i I found out that the neck of my bass didn't belong to my bass at all, some idiot had taken it of a different bass, opened it up then glues it on my bass body. Well, I got it fixed up but it still isn't in perfect condition, trying to save for a Squire P-Bass, because its cheaper then the really nice basses :huh: And now I'm trying to look for some good books to learn from.

Anyone else had the same kind of problem with thier bass? Its a Spider, so naturally it wouldn't be the best but it was cheap at the time and I really wanted to learn. I still do really want to learn, but its getting harder :)

Edited by Lordmad11

Welcome to BC!

On your neck problem - no experience, sorry, but it sounds well dodgy. I've never heard of a glued-on neck but that may just be inexperience. How's it fixed now? Damn strong screws, I hope.

Being taught is the ideal way to learn because you learn in a more or less pre-destined path, whereas what I've found is that by teaching yourself you can get caught in a rut. You like metal, therefore you learn metal, therefore if you get called upon to play funk you're completely screwed.

You can get a long with tuition videos, I find however. They will cover the basics which so many self-taught people don't get; things like where to place your left and right hands, how to finger (yes indeedy!), how to slap, how to fret properly. Beyond those it's a matter of style, and that comes with experience. If you go out looking for a wide range of experience, then even if you've just been taught the basics properly by a video you can go a long way.

All the best! Let us know how you get on. You may even find someone on here near you happy to give you some pointers/lessons...

Jon

Thanks, the bass isn't too bad but I guess thats the price I paid for buying off ebay, I got it and the strings were so high of the fret board it was untrue. But the guy in Horsham did an amazing job of fixing it all up. I hardly buy anything of ebay anymore becasue of all the problems there are. I knew there were a few players around but I haven't actually seen any teachers.

Wow, everyones so nice I feel so welcomed :)