Why become a member? ×

Hiss from my Roland Cube

lowlandtrees

I have a Kania Da Gamba contrabass with a Realist pick up. I play through a Roland Cube 100 but don't use any of the amp effects. Also runs through a fishman plat pro bass pre amp(and a tuner). Recently developed a soft hiss when I sound a note. There is no hiss using my ebass and the amp sounds good. Tried all the adjustments on the pre amp and the amp itself (and tuner). Only thing that I can think of is that the pick up is faulty.....or that DG Realist is the wrong pup for this instrument. It also seems that I have to turn the amp up to 3/4 volume to get a sound. I am pretty new to DB so don't have much exp with amplifying them although I have been playing for decades and recording for years. Anyone had similar problems or comments?

Jimmy

If possible, try it through another amp. Presuming you're using it with the Fishman pre at the same time, if the hiss persists with a different amp, it would suggest the problem is with the Realist. If this is the case, either the Realist is badly fitted (it needs good contact with the body and the foot of the bridge, ie there should be no gaps), or it's faulty. Do you have, or know someone who has another pickup you can try it with?

[quote name='lowlandtrees' timestamp='1364632958' post='2028987']
It also seems that I have to turn the amp up to 3/4 volume to get a sound.
[/quote]

That may be why the hiss. If the original signal is very weak, you'll be amplifying the background noise. Presumably the preamp batteries (if you're using them) are ok?